Drug Industry Knowledge Management Workshops
On behalf of APQC and Medstory, two workshops were organized for individuals in the pharmaceuticals and biotechnology
The New Thinking workshop series is creating a knowledge network aimed at developing breakthrough
ideas that enable pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies to achieve the next level of performance - and accelerate
the transformation of the drug industry.
New Thinking and Tools for Improving Drug Industry Performance. Philadelphia,
In this first workshop in the series, participants discovered, developed and shared ideas to:
- address industry challenges,
- accelerate industry transformation,
- reduce organizational reaction time,
- manage the shift to alliances and outsourcing, and
- approach potential partnerships with the FDA.
Key issues discussed were:
- Creating high-performance teams in matrixed organizations,
- Effective team alignment within/between corporate functions, and
- Institutionalizing and sustaining practices.
Participating Companies: Bristol-Myers Squibb, Hoffmann-La Roche, Jacobs Engineering, Medrad,
Sustaining Knowledge Management in the Drug Industry: Six Pillars to
Success. St. Louis, May, 2005.
The focus for the second workshop was
a discussion of the pillars on which sustainable KM programs are built:
- maintaining business focus with senior management,
- building knowledge sharing into the work environment,
- streamlining processes to achieve desired outcomes,
- capturing and delivering high-value content,
- maximizing technology leverage, and
- reporting key performance indicators to stakeholders.
Participants engaged in an interactive KM benchmarking / tune-up session, highlighting components of their
programs in need of adjustment to achieve peak performance.
Participating Companies: Amgen, Boehringer-Ingelheim, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Gerber Products Company,
Hoffmann-La Roche, Iknow, Otsuka, Pfizer.
View the workshop notes.
Explore Critical Success Factors: Pillars of Sustainable Knowledge