Drug Industry Knowledge Management Workshops
On behalf of APQC and Medstory, two workshops were organized for individuals in the pharmaceuticals and biotechnology
The New Thinking workshop series is creating a knowledge network aimed at developing breakthrough
ideas that enable pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies to achieve the next level of performance - and accelerate
the transformation of the drug industry.
- New Thinking and Tools for Improving Drug Industry Performance. Philadelphia, November, 2004.
In this first workshop in the series, participants discovered, developed and shared ideas to:
- address industry challenges,
- accelerate industry transformation,
- reduce organizational reaction time,
- manage the shift to alliances and outsourcing, and
- approach potential partnerships with the FDA.
Key issues discussed were:
- Creating high-performance teams in matrixed organizations,
- Effective team alignment within/between corporate functions, and
- Institutionalizing and sustaining practices.
Participating Companies: Bristol-Myers Squibb, Hoffmann-La Roche, Jacobs Engineering, Medrad, Pfizer, Sanofi-Aventis
- Sustaining Knowledge Management in the Drug Industry: Six Pillars to
Success. St. Louis, May, 2005.
The focus for the second workshop was
a discussion of the pillars on which sustainable KM programs are built:
- maintaining business focus with senior management,
- building knowledge sharing into the work environment,
- streamlining processes to achieve desired outcomes,
- capturing and delivering high-value content,
- maximizing technology leverage, and
- reporting key performance indicators to stakeholders.
Participants engaged in an interactive KM benchmarking / tune-up session, highlighting components of their programs in need of adjustment to achieve peak performance.
Participating Companies: Amgen, Boehringer-Ingelheim, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Gerber Products Company, Hoffmann-La Roche, Iknow, Otsuka, Pfizer.
View the workshop notes.
Explore Critical Success Factors: Pillars of Sustainable Knowledge